Why we are different
What makes us unique?
We aim to help families living with financial difficulty by easing their financial stress when it comes time to arrange a farewell for their loved ones.
We do this by providing dignified, quality services which include:
- Charitable, means-tested services: Bereavement Assistance is the only company in Australia that offers means-tested services at no cost to disadvantaged families. Since 1997, Bereavement Assistance has donated in excess of $700,000 to disadvantaged families by providing dignified, quality, charitable services across Victoria.
- Low-cost funerals: As a not-for-profit, charitable organisation, we provide dignified, quality, low-cost services at a price that is significantly below the cost of an average commercial service. Any money made on these low-cost services is put back into the organisation so that we can continue to provide charitable services to families with no money, or homeless people.
- Bereavement Assistance is able to continue providing support to struggling families through our commercial partnership with the Victorian State Government and donations from those families who engage the services of our social enterprise-based companion organisation, Potter’s Field Funerals.
Our Way of Thinking
We Care About Your Loved One
As a service-based registered charity, we genuinely care about giving your loved one a dignified, quality service whether a private, non-attended cremation or a private, non-attended burial. Each of our staff members, from our administration co-ordinator to our embalmer; through to our consultants all share our service-based values and treat everyone with respect, care and compassion.
We Believe in What We Do
We believe everyone, no matter what their financial, social or family circumstances may be, has the right to a quality, dignified service – we provide services that are designed to stop the cycle of debt some families suffer, avoiding placing a family in financial hardship or having to settle for a less-dignified farewell to a loved one.
We never turn anyone away.
Our Commitment to You
We are here to help you. This means:
- our consultants provide a 24-hour, seven-day-a-week phone service
- we can provide burial and cremation services anywhere in Victoria
- we guide, support and assist you with planning the right service for your loved one
- we listen to what you want and customise the service as much as we are able to
- we provide low-cost and charitable services for all Victorians who need our help
Let us know how we can help you.